2018 BCAS/Harold Feinberg Conservation Awards
BCAS has proudly awarded its 9th annual “Bergen County Audubon/Harold Feinberg Conservation Awards.” The recognition is bestowed upon those who heroes who have given of themselves with little recognition and often with personal sacrifice. Congratulations this year’s winners: Record environmental reportes Scott Fallon and Jim O’Neill; and author, educator and mentor Judy Cinquina.
Our on-the-ground conservation work is fueled by citizen science, advocacy, and education. Our activities include:
Restoration Through Our Native Plant Gardens
Native Plants restore the balance of the habitat and benefit birds and other wildlife. These gardens are learning places for anyone interested in knowing more about the importance of native plants and how they can be used in their own backyard.
- Butterfly Garden at Overpeck Preserve, Overpeck Park
- Butterfly Garden at Teaneck Creek Conservancy
- Dr. Ben Burton Native Plants Garden at Teaneck Creek Conservancy
Promoting Backyard Habitats
With open space continuing to be lost in Bergen County and New Jersey, backyard habitats are becoming even more important as places for birds and other wildlife to find food and shelter. They are also vital for our migratory bird species on their Spring and Fall journeys along the Atlantic Flyway. See our Healthy Backyards page for info on creating a backyard habitat and the importance of native plants.
Our Partners in Conservation
The following organizations received funding from Bergen County Audubon Society:
- The Nature Conservancy
- American Bird Conservancy
- Friends of Wallkill National Wildlife Refuge
- The Raptor Trust
- National Wildlife Refuge Association
Injured or Orphaned Bird?
1. Determine whether or not an injured or orphaned bird needs help – https://theraptortrust.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/ENGLISH-BIRD-RESCUE-FLYER-2.23.2017.pdf
2. If the bird does need help, a list of rehabilitators in New Jersey – www.njfishandwildlife.com/pdf/rehab_list.pdf
The Raptor Trust – https://theraptortrust.org/
Franklin Lakes Animal Hospital – www.franklinlakesanimalhospital.com/our-services/wildlife/
Easy way to communicate on Environmental Issues
The Sierra Club website www.sierraclub.org and the National Audubon website www.audubon.org provide an easy way to email the various branches of government and your own representatives on a variety of current environmental issues.